smbfs mounted files created owned by root?

Peter J. Holzer hjp at wsr.ac.at
Tue Sep 14 13:16:18 GMT 1999

On 1999-09-14 05:07:20 +1000, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> At 04:31 AM 9/14/1999 +1000, you wrote:
> >Hi all. We have been denying NFS access to our Linux et al users since
> >they can of course set their uid to whatever they want. So we tell them
> >to use smbfs. But when I just tried experimenting by mounting my own
> >network share on my Linux box via smbfs, and created a few files, I loo
> >on the serevr and the files are all owned by root?! This has got to be a
> >configuration issue right?
> >
> Actualy, it is a mount command issue.  Unless you use the -u <uid> and
> -g <gid> options, the mount defaults to the current user/group.

No, the -u and -g options only determine the apparent uid/gid on the
client. The uid and gid on the server are determined by the -U option
(and /etc/passwd, /etc/group and some other things on the server),
unless there is some "force user" directive in the server config.

As far as I can tell, this seems to work. I can choose any user on the
client (if I am root on the client) and I can choose those users of the
server, whose password I know (I.e., I can connect as root, but then I
need the root password on the server).

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | Nobody should ever have to be
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / Obmann LUGA  | ashamed if they have a secret love
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ | actually work.  -- Donald E. Knuth