smbfs mounted files created owned by root?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at execpc.com
Mon Sep 13 19:02:42 GMT 1999

At 04:31 AM 9/14/1999 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi all. We have been denying NFS access to our Linux et al users since
>they can of course set their uid to whatever they want. So we tell them
>to use smbfs. But when I just tried experimenting by mounting my own
>network share on my Linux box via smbfs, and created a few files, I loo
>on the serevr and the files are all owned by root?! This has got to be a
>configuration issue right?

Actualy, it is a mount command issue.  Unless you use the -u <uid> and
-g <gid> options, the mount defaults to the current user/group.  I take
it you are mounting the shares as root?  You are stuck with all the files
being owned by one user/group.  That is because the base file system (fat,
or vfat) doesn't support user and group ids...

  Now the user and group settings do not have any effect on what the
server uses for the file system.  That is set by how the share is
configured, and user name used when opening the share.  (Just like the
login name used in windows...)  As far as the server is concerned, you
are just another windows system accessing the files.

I hope that helps.
Mikkel

---