Attach to SAMBA share without logging in to Win98?

Chris Watt cnww at hfx.andara.com
Sun Sep 12 20:29:00 GMT 1999

At 02:38 AM 9/13/99 +1000, Craig Setera wrote:
>Is it possible to set things up in SAMBA so that a Win98 box that hasn't
>been logged into can access a share?  I have a small home network that
>is shielded from the Internet and would like to have a public directory
>that can easily be accessed for my wife and daughter.

It may be possible to bypass the logon requirement in Samba by using share
mode security, but a far easier method (assuming you're not using seperate
user profiles in Windows) is to install the Win98 power toys and use
TweakUI to setup an automated logon. That way not only will your wife and
daughter not have to type anything, they won't even have to hit cancel.
--

Microsoft Windows:  computing While U Wait