Solaris printer filter incantation?

Steve Beaty beatys at mscd.edu
Sat Sep 11 19:32:52 GMT 1999

Hi all,

	sorry to ask this question, which is really about Solaris printer
administration, here but i've looked everywhere else i can think of to no
avail.  i've got a LaserJet 1100 hooked up to a Solaris box and i want to
print to it from W98 clients.  for this to happen, the PCL coming from the
W98 boxes needs to be passed through the print system unmolested.  i can't
figure out the correct set of filters to place in /etc/lp/fd and the
correct lpadmin incantations to make this happen.  what i have done is set
the printer up as follows:
-----
[printers]
        path = /tmp
        writeable = no
        guest ok = yes
        printable = yes
        print command = cat %s > /dev/ecpp0 ; rm %s
-----
which writes the file directly to the parallel port and actually works.
this seems a bit of a hack.  can someone help me, or point me at readable
documentation that can help?  in the end, i'd like to print text and
PostScript from Solaris, and PCL from the W98 boxes.  thanks for any help,

Dr. Steve Beaty                                       Assistant Professor
Metro State College of Denver                        beaty at emess.mscd.edu
VOX: (303) 556-5321                                 Science Building 225A
FAX: (303) 556-5381                         http://clem.mscd.edu/~beatys/