No subject

weiss_john at burr-brown.com weiss_john at burr-brown.com
Tue Sep 7 14:36:01 GMT 1999

Indeed there are good hints when you log the nmbd when starting,
log level 2 is good. I too am having trouble starting nmbd even with
the log file. The log states: address 0.0.0.0 already in use, and cant
bind to port 137. But nothing else is using 0.0.0.0. Curiously, a process
called nmbd will appear without an smbd command, but with a smbclient test.
Subsequent testing fails, so it's a bogus process. Am running HPUX 10.20,
samba 2.0.4b.

--jrw

> Still playing around with Samba 2.0.5a running on HP-UX 10.20. Attempted
> to startup the smbd and nmbd daemon during system startup. smbd starts
> up but not the nmbd. Is there any hints. thanks in advance.

     Have you looked in log.nmb yet?  There should be hints in there
about why your nmbd daemon isn't starting up.
     What happens when you start it on the command line?  If you've got
a misconfiguration in your smb.conf file, that can keep nmb from starting,
check for things like having both a wins support=yes and a wins server
defined.
     bjh