browsing, subnets, across, workgroups

Steve Meisner smeisner at concentric.net
Fri Sep 3 21:30:27 GMT 1999

Bethany Jane wrote:

> Why does browsing across subnets only work if all of the machines are in
> the same workgroup?

[snip...]

> It works great for computers in our academic subnet, no matter whether the
> windows machines are in the SERVERS workgroup or not, the FACULTY
> workgroup and the SERVERS workgroup (and some other miscellaneous ones)
> show up and are lovely.  However, computers in the dorm subnet can't see
> the SERVERS workgroup if they are in any workgroup besides SERVERS (ie.
> STUDENTS).  Once we change the windows machines to be in the SERVERS
> workgroup, they see the servers just fine.
>
> Why is this?  Is there anything I can do about it?  Could I maybe get
> another ethernet card in my samba box, put it on the dorm subnet, and then
> make my one little samba box be the domain master browser for both
> subnets?  Would that help?  I tried using Remote Announce, but it didn't
> seem to help.

Who is the domain master for STUDENTS?  (You may not need one).  In the
Remote Anounce parameter append the STUDENTS to the subnet (i.e.,
192.168.3.255/STUDENTS) because without it, Samba will only look for its
workgroup (i.e., SERVERS).

--
"Don't steal, the Government hates competition!"
smeisner at concentric.net | http://www.concentric.net/~Smeisner