smbd timed out kills WinNT application

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Fri Sep 3 16:10:44 GMT 1999

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:58:07 +1000, hai scritto:

>the latter wants to save a project. (This happened 8 times
>in 6 month). At this time, the log.smb says:
>[1999/09/03 07:47:28, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(742)
>  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
>  oplock_break failed for file engrenage/eng_dev/eng_2C.SLDPRT (dev =
>309, inode = 40964).

>From the samba faq:
===
The advisory message means that you have either a defective network card
on one of your clients, or else an MS Windows application is refusing to
respond to an oplock break request from another MS Windows client that
wishes to accessan already locked file.
===
So check your nic's and cabling.

If the above doesn't help, you can set "oplocks = no" (so did I) and the
problem will disappear, though the performance may be affected
negatively.

If you can reproduce the error "whenever you want" (that is if it
_always_ happens when you do a _certain_ operation), then write about it
to samba-bugs at samba.org.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it