Password Problem

Menno Scholten m.scholten at wxs.nl
Sun Oct 24 14:55:07 GMT 1999

Hi there,

I'm having a little trouble with Samba ( duh, otherwise I wouldn't be
writing to this list :)). It used to work just fine, but after I
reinstalled my linux box, and samab with it I'm having a little trouble
with the passwords. When I logon using my normal user account, and try
to set my Samba password I get this error:

$ smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session setup. Error was :
ERRSRV - ER
Rbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session
Setup are
 invalid.).

This would mean that the Old SMB password is incorrect. The problem is,
it isn't supposed to exist. I've never set that password before. I've
tried to enter my normal user password, leave it blank, but I doesn't
work. Really desperate, I de-installed Samba, removed all the files,
including the smbpasswd file, installed everything again, and still, the
same problem. If I create a new user, I face the same problem. I have to
enter an old ( non-existing ) password. If I login as root and then try
to smbpasswd, it doesn't ask for the old password, but instead ask for a
new one.

I'm really stuck here, perhaps anyone can help me.
The SMB server is a 486 with Debian, kernel 2.2, Samba version 1.9. I've
added the simplified version of my smb.conf, the one I'm using now for
Diagnostic purposes.

Thnx in advance,
Menno Scholten