samba based password synchronization with a hpux 10.20 trusted system

Paul L. Lussier plussier at ne.arris-i.com
Fri Oct 15 17:49:47 GMT 1999

In a message dated: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 03:35:18 +1000
"Norm Long" said:

>Greetings,
>
>Does anyone have any experience of how to perform a samba password
>syncronization with hpux 10.20 trusted system?  Question number(2) how does
>run generate a smbpasswd file on hpux trusted system?   Please advise,
>currently stuck and sinking.

I don't know much about HPUX, and am not familiar with what you mean by
"trusted", but if using NIS, you need your Samba server running on your NIS
server.  If not using NIS, then you just need some way of taking the passwd
they hand you and encrypting that under Unix.  There's a place in the smb.conf
file for passwd script (refer to the docs, I don't remember what it's called).

As for generating the smbpasswd file, I would expect it should be the same, of
course, as I said, I don't know what you mean by "trusted".

Sorry if this isn't much help.

P.S.	Have you gotten Gerry Carter's book yet?  If not, go get it.  It's
	invaluable for PDC configuration.
--

Seeya,
Paul