Samba-based password synchronization

Norm Long nlong at worldvision.org
Fri Oct 15 18:25:50 GMT 1999

Greetings to all once again,

This is request for help message number 2.   I have a hpux 10.20 machine
that is NOT TRUSTED that is there are passwords in the /etc/password file.
I'm trying to authenticate winnt 4.0 and win95 clients to this server.  I
have added the following parameters to my smb.conf file:

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file  = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

I have created the smbpasswd using the command cat /etc/passwd |
mksmbpasswd.sh > /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd.

>From what I understand once this smbpasswd file has been created and samba
has been restarted (inetd -c for me) windows users can change their
passwords and the smbpasswd file is updated.  The question is HOW DO I GET
PASSWORDS INTO THE SMBPASSWD FILE?  I would rather have the users set and
control their passwords and I would prefer the users not have to log into
the unix machine and create there password using the smbpasswd command.  Is
it necessary for the users to use the smbpasswd command to first set their
passwords on the hpux 10.20 box?   And how can the users change their
passwords from the windows95 and winnt side?

Any and all responses welcome, thanks to all in advance!!!!