win98/samba problems

Gerry Doris gdoris at home.com
Mon Nov 29 15:11:01 GMT 1999

I've been trying to get samba to see the shares on a win98 box without success.
I upgraded samba to 2.0.6-2 to see if that made a difference.  I still have the
same problem but I now have a little more info.  Here's the full command and
response:

gerry at leopard:~ > smbclient -L cs198787-a
added interface ip=10.0.0.2 bcast=10.0.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to CS198787-A failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

What does the "Called name not present" actually mean?

BTW, the server passes all the tests in DIAGNOSTICS.TXT and can happily be seen
by the win98 box in neighborhood networks.  The server can also see another
WFWg 3.11 box.

E-Mail: Gerry Doris <gdoris at home.com>
Date: 29-Nov-99
Time: 10:05:18

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer