Large file tx to ZIP share fails

Oliver Eichler oliver.eichler at dspsolutions.de
Fri Nov 26 12:39:26 GMT 1999

Hi

I have setup a small network with a samba server on a linux box and several
Win95/98/NT clients. The server offeres access to an Iomega Zip Drive. The
drive is mounted during preexec, with user id and group id of the
requester. Here are the relevant sections from smb.conf:

[global]
	workgroup = DSPSOLUTIONS
	netbios name = CALEB
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	null passwords = Yes
	time server = Yes
	deadtime = 1
	domain master = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	guest account = pcguest
	dos filetimes = Yes
[zip]
	path = /share/zip
	valid users = @dspx, @dspp , at dspa
	read only = No
	create mask = 0666
	force create mode = 0666
	directory mask = 0777
	force directory mode = 0777
	max connections = 1
	strict sync = Yes
	sync always = Yes
	fake oplocks = Yes
	root preexec = /usr/bin/zipmount  %u %g

The zip media is formated by Windows 95. The fstype during mount is set to
auto. Everything works fine for the NT client. I can copy and read all
kinds of files, no limitation to size. With my Win95/98 clients, however, I
am only able to copy small files to the zip. I haven't tested the limit,
but small is about 100k and large is around 1MB. The error message box
tells me that access is denied and I should check if the disk isn't full,
write protected or accessed by another user. Nothing o this applies.

Can anyone help?

regards
oliver