password server rejects the password

Andre Albsmeier andre.albsmeier at mchp.siemens.de
Thu Nov 25 08:49:43 GMT 1999

On Thu, 25-Nov-1999 at 17:50:18 +1100, Thor-Egil Ekeli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have posted questions about this several times, but never got an answer to
> it, therefore I will try again.
>
> I want to set up my Samba-servers to use a NT-server as password-server.
> This usually works OK, but sometimes the client cannot reconnect to the
> shares during logon, he just get an "invalid password"-message. The
> Samba-log says something like "Password server <servername> rejected the
> password". The solution is to wait a few minutes and then try again.
>
> I have spoke with other persons who have the same problem, but no one seems
> to have a solution.
>
> I am running Samba 2.0.5a on HPUX 10.2. I have also seen the problem on
> SUN-boxes.

Same on FreeBSD-3. I used to do the same, experienced the same problem,
looked a little into it, found that something with the password challenge
didn't work always. While I was digging into this, I found that part in the
code that tests the NT Server for some errorneous behaviour. All this made
me change the configuration in a way that I keep again a local smbpasswd
on the samba servers an the NT server only does the domain logons.

Now, logging in into the clients is real fun: It connects about 5 samba
shares per second! My people nevermore got problems like you described.

	-Andre
per second