username map

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 23 15:58:54 GMT 1999

Winnie Lin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a share for windows 98/NT users to browse without
> creating unix password. I am able to join nt domain without problem.  In
> the usermap, I put:
>
> nobody = *
>
> to map everybody to nobody. But it's still asking for password. What's
> the proper way to setup a browse location for windows users without the
> hassle of adding each individual to the password files?

I think the best way to do this sort of thing is to forget about
user.map and put this in your smb.conf:

guest account = nobody
map to guest = Bad User

That way, when samba sees a user that it doesn't know about, it just
maps it to 'nobody'.  You should investigate the other 'map to guest'
options by doing 'man smb.conf'.  There's really a lot of good
information in there.