samba not logging windows user names

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Nov 22 17:12:40 GMT 1999

At 07:26 PM 11/22/1999 +1100, Ronald Derksen wrote:
>Hi,
[clip]
>I also tried logging to a file which contains '%U' but this give me very
>often the 'guest' name in the logfile while guest access is denied.
[clip]
>Ronald Derksen

Ronald -- the listing of "guest" as %U is not at all my experience. My
experience is %U is the username on the windows box or the -U arg of
smbclient, irrespective of any guesting issues. Either I've spaced out or
you've discovered a very interesting anomoly. Can you reproduce this
behavior with a tiny smb.conf?

Thanks

Steve Litt