browse lists

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Fri Nov 19 18:07:39 GMT 1999

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:53:46 +1100, hai scritto:

>Does anybody know how to query a master browser for the shares on each
>computer in its subnet? Normally I would send an smbclient -L command to
>the server, but there is no central server. It is Windows network where
1)
find the master browser:
nmblookup -M -

2)
ask the master browser for the list of computers
smbclient -L <master-browser>

3)
ask, in turn, to each machine (you know them from point 2) which shares
it offers.

>via DHCP, so I can't just set up a script to query each individual
>computer. It must be possible to talk to a master browser because
smbclient -L
works with netbios names, so that dhcp doesn't matter if you know the
machines names and they are set once for all.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it