2.0.6: HUP/charset/profiles/smbmount/logging

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Wed Nov 17 18:05:58 GMT 1999

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:53:27 +0100 (CET), hai scritto:

>Known and a problem (Tridge knows and is/was thinking about a clean
>solution). But doesn't smbclient show the filenames correctly? I was sure
>that it did.
With smbmount I see ????? chars in place of the right ones.
With smbclient I see weird chars in place of the right ones.

>Look for the nls thing ... (it's a smbfs and an optional smbmount patch).
>If it doesn't apply cleanly just let me know and I'll upgrade it (should
>be trivial).
>You need to tweak the header file to choose the translation, or patch
>smbmount too (and then tweak the header to tell it so). You need to
>reconfigure and recompile your kernel (module?) to enable this.
I patched both kernel (2.2.13) with some hunk offsets, and
smbmount/smbmnt (2.0.6), now I get

[root at i4 go]# mount -t smbfs -o guest //GO/A test1
[root at i4 go]# mount error: Invalid argument
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255
mount.smbfs: ioctl failed, res=-1
Could not umount /home/go/test1: Invalid argument

In messages I get
kernel: SMBFS: need mount version 6

giulioo at tiscalinet.it