smbmount problem after kernel recompile

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sun Nov 14 11:42:36 GMT 1999

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Mader, Cary J wrote:

> to the mount point, I get i/o errors on the mounted directory, i.e. I
> created /mnt/test, and the following:
> >cd /mnt/test
> >ls
> produces the following error:
> "ls: test: Input/output error"

Do you get any funny messages in the syslog?

> At this point the mount point is in a state of limbo. I can't unmount as I
> receive error "device or resource busy".  At this point the only way to
> resolve it is to reboot the server (sounds like NT).

It could very well be that the smbfs part has "crashed" (because of up/smp
differences), something that normally gives you a BSOD on NT, I think ...

> The other odd thing about all of this is that everything else seems to work
> just fine.  I can use smbclient to talk to the same NT share and the local
> host just fine.  I haven't tried to map a drive from an NT workstation to
> the linux server yet, but I'm going to guess that works fine also.

Those are userspace things, and they only require the kernel to give them
a network connection.

> There is a note in the SuSE support db regarding recompiling of kernel for
> smp support that mentions some modules may need to be recompiled because
> "single processor modules will not work with an smp kernel".  I'm wondering
                            ^^^^^^^^
If they say so. Sounds like a very good idea to me.

> At this point I'll admit that I'm a little lost.  Is there a module I need
> to recompile to fix the mount problems, and if so, which one, and how.  I
> think I kind of know how to recompile a module, I'm just not sure which one
> and where to find the source.  OR...is there some other problem?

You should probably recompile all your modules. As I don't know SuSE I
don't know if they have made any changes to this but if you had the normal
kernel tree you do:

% make modules modules_install

Wherever your kernel sourcetree lives (the same place where you'd
otherwise do 'make bzImage'), smbfs is included in the normal kernel
sources.

I'd suggest you then remove any modules you have loaded with rmmod
(possibly by rebooting, if all else fails) before testing your new smbfs
module, to make sure that you are using your new modules and not your old.

/Urban