[smbfs] Timing problems with kernel 2.2.x?

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Thu Nov 11 14:24:04 GMT 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:58:14 +1100, hai scritto:

>[Note: This has been posted to linux-kernel and was ignored. Since
>smbfs is maintained by the samba team, I am retrying here]

>I now suspect that the 2.2 series smbfs needs some time after the
>mount call returned to actually attach the mounted share to the mount

I had the same problem with my nightly backup (smbmount win9x and copy
stuff onto linux), I had to add a "sleep x" between smbmount and "cd" to
the smbmounted dir.

I have 2.2.13, samba-2.0.6

test1 is a dir with some stuff inside (on linux side)

==
mount -t smb -o guest //GO/C test1
cd test1
ls
sleep 1
ls
==

The first ls shows the linux content of test1, the second ls shows the
win9x stuff (smbmounted).

So smbmount returns before having mounted the Win9x dir.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it