Word document corruption when connection lost

Martin Rootes M.J.Rootes at shu.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 19:06:50 GMT 1999

We've been having some problems where connections are being lost to our 2.0.4b Samba
machine, the specifics of which are in a different post. To add to the problems we find there is a
problem with particularly Word and also some other programs, with the file in memory getting
corrupted when the connection is lost. If a user loads a Word document from there Samba share
and then the connection gets dropped, when they try and save the document it obviously won't
let them save to the Samba share, however, we've found that they can't even save to a floppy
drive the file in memory has seemingly become corrupted! Has anyone seen this happen and if
so is there any fix / work around. I'm presuming that it's something to do with temporary files as
Word seems to put these in the same location that it got the file from.

	Martin Rootes
	Systems Support

Martin Rootes - Senior Systems Programmer/Analyst, Sheffield Hallam University
Email :         M.Rootes at shu.ac.uk