Domain master browser for multiple domains?

John J. LeMay Jr. jlemay at njmc.com
Wed Nov 10 16:24:56 GMT 1999

According to Microsoft, (I'm sure I will be blasted for that) any Windows
machine - including everything from WFWG through NTW and NTS - can SHARE
the subnet browse list with the NT Domain Master Browser, aka the PDC.

In other words, it sounds as though you will not be able to browse across
subnets without a PDC, and that Win9x machines can only be master browsers
for their subnet. I am not sure if Samba can become a DMB, or if it can
only act as a "LMB", which is your original question.

I'm curious what would happen if a Win9x machine were dual-homed on
multiple subnets. Would it generate a single large browse list containing
info from all subnets it can directly reach?