2nd try: sync of passwd and smbpasswd

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Tue Nov 9 15:18:33 GMT 1999

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 01:12:44 +1100, hai scritto:

>I'm using samba2.02 and shadowed passwords.
You dont' say which os you run samba on. If linux, then wait for 2.0.6
which has a bug-fix in the password-sync area.

>a) what to do with those who have not logged in during the parameter update
>encrypted =Yes is set.
Either set their password by-hand, or have them login and use smbpasswd
themselves, or set "null password = yes".

>b) what I have to do when I add new users on the linux box (for every one
>to adduser and then smbpasswd -a)?
Yes, I think you can make this process automatic with some scripting.

>c) what password database are win9x clients are manipulating when they are
>using command: "net passwd"
smbpasswd in first place, then /etc/passwd if samba is set-up for
syncing.

>Most of them want to use the same passwords for linux and win9x booting.
>Therefore changes made in the password should be the same on the linux way
>and the windows way.
When they are on win9x they use the control panel applet and they change
both samba and linux password; when in linux tell them to change their
passwd using smbpasswd and not passwd, so that samba/linux password are
kept in sync.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it