User's smbd processes don't get killed

Paulo Afonso Graner Fessel pafessel at netsol.com.br
Mon Nov 8 22:30:13 GMT 1999

	Hi, all.

	Last saturday, we've done a cutover for Samba 2.0.5a to be our new
fileserver. All is going well, except for two network users that make me
reboot the server.

	What happens is as follows:

	* user logs on onto samba server;

	* user opens and closes files, etc, OK until in one of these
operations his/her machine hangs;

	* user reboots his/her machine to log on again. In this processes,
we see another smbd being spawned, and the first smbd doesn't get killed
at all. Even "kill -9" does not work. Meanwhile, the CPU usage of the
process grows without limits, and renice 20 <pid> has no effects.

	The strangest of all this behavior is that I have users that open
80+ files simultaneously (a Clipper application, actually), and they
don't have any problems at all.

	I've seen this happening both in a WinNT/Wks/SP4/Portuguese and in
a Win95/SP1/English, normally with Office applications and with just file
browsing.

	Any suggestions? Faulty network card, neccessary hotfixes... I'm
running Samba 2.0.5a (RPM) with RH6.0 and customized Linux Kernel 2.2.13
with e2comp patches, in a NetFinity 3500 Server with a Mylex DAC960 RAID
controller. My smb.conf is attached too.

	TIA,

	Paulo Fessel