PUBLIC SHARES IN SECURITY=USER

Matej Ondrusek matej at cxcom.sk
Sat Nov 6 10:22:10 GMT 1999

Hello all,

I use samba2.0.5a in security=user mode and I would like to create
some public shares - accessible also for clients without valid
username/password login (for example public printer). I have a valid
guest account specified and I marked these shares as guest ok - but
it still doesn't work. "Not logged in" users cannot see the list of
shares nor can they access the share directly using UNC syntax
(\\server\share) - in both cases dialog box asking for IPC$ password
appears.

In docs/textdocs/Recent-FAQs.txt I have found topic "Using NT to
Browse Samba Shares" which says something about this - but in fact I
don't understand it very well. It's written there that also Windows
NT doesn't allow unauthorized user's access to the list of shares,
but it doesn't seem to be true.

So I would like to ask, if creation of such a shares is possible and
what conditions must be fullfiled ?

Thank you very much for any hints.

Matej
matej at cxcom.sk

Details about configuration :

Redhat 6.0, Samba 2.0.5a
clients: Win98

parts of smb.conf:

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
guest account = nobody

[PUB]
path = /pub
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes

directory /pub has rwxrwxrwx access mode