Announce: KDE User Manager does smbpasswd.

Heiko Nardmann h.nardmann at secunet.de
Fri Nov 5 08:39:26 GMT 1999

You don't need to run KDE to start this program.
All you need is the KDE libraries installed and somewhere in the library
path.
This seems to be a common misconception that KDE has to be run to
start KDE programs.
I think the same is true for Gnome.

Stephen L Arnold wrote:

> On 4 Nov 99, Andy Phillips <atp at coralcay.org> had this to say about
> Announce: KDE User Manager does smbpasswd.:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to announce a beta patch to the KDE user manager
> > (kuser) that integrates the management of the smbpasswd
> > encrypted password file with the existing password file.
> [snip]
>
> Not having looked at the code, I have no idea about the effort
> required, but would anyone like to yank this utility out of KDE and
> make it stand-alone (for the many folks who don't run KDE)?
>
> Maybe a gnome port, or use a standard Xlib that's commonly
> available?
>
> Just a thought...
>
> Steve

> Stephen L Arnold                      http://www.rain.org/~sarnold
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>

Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing.), h.nardmann at secunet.de, Software Development

secunet Security Networks AG - Sicherheit in Netzwerken
(www.secunet.de),
Weidenauer Str. 223-225, D-57076 Siegen
Tel. : +49 271 48950-13, Fax  : +49 271 48950-50