printing to shared remote printers (Win95) using lpr

Charles Lewis lewisc at swau.edu
Fri Nov 5 00:05:33 GMT 1999

I apologize has been discussed, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm
trying configure my samba/debian box to allow printing to a shared printer
on a win95 machine. Any help is appreciated.

In printcap:

ljsaturn|HP Laserjet 6P
     :rm=saturn.ois.swau.edu
     :rp=hplj6p
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ljsaturn
     :mx#0
     :lp=/dev/null
     :sh
     :sf

I can print from another Windows machine (through samba) but when I'm on the
samba server and type 'lpr -P hplj6p /etc/samba/smb.conf' for instance, I
get the following errors:

sending job 'root at delta+4' to hplj6p at localhost
connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
connected to 'localhost'
requesting printer hplj6p at localhost
error 'LINK_TRANSFER_FAIL' sending str '^Bhplj6p' to hplj6p at localhost
job 'root at delta+4' transfer to hplj6p at localhost failed

Anyone willing to help this newbie? :)

Charles Lewis, Director of Administrative Computing
Southwestern Adventist University, Keene, TX
(817)556-4720  lewisc at swau.edu  FAX (360)397-7952