Confusion over how to configure WINS

Hutton, Rob HuttonR at plymart.com
Thu Nov 4 19:02:27 GMT 1999

  We have a network of about 24 remote site all connecting to our home
office across a mixture of private frame relay and VPN across the internet.
In order to simplify our life, and at the same time, reduce the amount of
non critical and chatty traffic transversing the WAN links during business
hours, we are putting servers at each remote to do DHCP, DNS, WINS, and file
and print sharing.  From the documentation, I'm not sure whether we need to
turn WINS server on at each remote site.  Or if I need to set WINS proxy to
yes, and put in the WINS address of the  PDC at the home office?  Our
network is private 10.*.*.* addressing, fully subnetted with each remote
site having either a /19 or /24 subnet mask.
Email addresses, faxes, and any other means of electronic contact are for
the business use of Ply Marts, Inc., its employees, suppliers, and any other
party interested in the business of Ply Marts, Inc.  Individuals using
computer systems owned or operated by Ply Marts, Inc. do so subject to
applicable laws and company policies. Ply Marts, Inc. disclaims all
responsibility and/or warranties for information and materials residing on
non-company systems or available over publicly accessible networks. Such
materials do not necessarily reflect the attitudes, opinions, or values of
Ply Marts, Inc. or its employees.  Abuse of these systems may be punishable
under local or federal laws.

To report suspected abuse, please send email to: mailto:abuse at plymart.com