user authentication

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Thu Nov 4 17:36:36 GMT 1999

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 04:05:01 +1100, hai scritto:

>I was looking for a way to use samba to authenticate users against an NT
>domian.  I don't want to connect to any resource, just determine if the
>uid/password pair matches what's in the domain database.
Samba does this on its own, so maybe you want to do that check for
something else?

If the NT has guest disabled I think you can try
smbclient -L <nt> password -U user
and test the result code, so that you have not to make a connection to a
real resource.

>I was hoping there was some way to just check the authentication and return
>pass or fail.
If you know c I think you can do this using pam_smb/pam_ntdom, pam is
supposed to check user/pass and just return ok/ko.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it