using smbmount for NT share

Mader, Cary J cary.mader at eds.com
Wed Nov 3 23:46:17 GMT 1999

I posted a previous thread about using smbmount, but I am still having some
problems, using samba version 2.0.5a on SuSE 6.2.

I issue the statement:

smbmount //NTServer/share /mnt/test -Iaddress -Uid%pswd

Afterwards, if I go to the mount directory, i.e. 'cd /mnt' and issue the
command 'ls -l' I get an error message 'ls: test: Input/output error'.
After that, the mount point is pretty much hosed until I reboot the server
(I haven't looked to see how to stop the smb daemon process yet, which might
fix it as well).  I can't issue a 'umount' command without getting a message
that the device is busy.

I have also tried running the smbmount command using debug level 9.   Along
with a dump of parameters from the smb.conf file, I get the following
messages which make it appear that the mount command is talking to the NT
Server. Is there some parameter I'm missing from the smb.conf file that
could be causing a problem?  I can use smbclient and look at the NT Server
share with no problems.

Thanks,
Cary

<some output from using -d9>
Added interface ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx bcast=xxx.xxx.xxx.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at port 139
write_socket(4,76)
write_socket(4,76) wrote 76
Sent session request
size=0