NIS, Samba

Alexandre Lecuyer Alexandre.Lecuyer at iu-vannes.fr
Wed Nov 3 10:18:12 GMT 1999

Hi,

I have samba 2.1 (last month cvs) working as a PDC
on a linux machine.
Everything works fine except for the connection (opening
a session), which is very slow.
Login could take up to 5minutes.
Making the samba server a slave NIS server helped a lot,
however it still gets extremely slow when several (>20) users
try to login at the same time.
This problem occurs only when there are many users in the NIS
passwd file/smbpasswd.
(there are about 300 workstations entries, and 1800 users entry).

Is there something I can on the samba side to make the login quicker ?
I don't think it's just a NIS problem, since the authentication of
people
using Linux is fast.

Thanks,

--