heja at xox.pl
Fri May 21 14:09:04 GMT 1999
Thanks for this great software
There is a little problem, however, that annoys some impatient users on
our network, because they use large (5- 20 MB) database files in
everyday work. The setup is:
RedHat 5.1, kernel 2.0.34, samba 2.0.2 precompiled
Pentium 200, 64 MB RAM, one IDE and one SCSI disk
RedHat 5.0 kernel 2.0.34, samba 1.9.18p precompiled
486 100 MHz, 8 MB RAM, two IDE disks
OS/2, Pentiums 75 - 90
All machines have Genius 10MBit cards (allright, allright, slow and
resource consuming, I know, but see below). There is no way to upgrade
the hardware at the moment.
I have tested the speed with xfertest (from samba.org site), run on
print server, transferring 2 MB file back and forth to the main server.
These are the results:
get 400 kb/s, put 900 kb/s
get 300 kb/s, put 500 kb/s
So this doesn't look like a hardware problem.
I have applied parameters suggested in this list:
> READ RAW and READ BMPX on my systems were set to true
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
> I have disabled ALL WINS at our site and run strictly
> DNS (on Linux of course).
Surprisingly, this was our policy from the very beginning...
> read prediction = yes
I have also put the following sugested thing in the startup script
(though it still did not make any difference):
echo "80 500 64 64 80 6000 6000 1884 2" >/proc/sys/vm/bdflush
More information about the samba