No filenames visible in samba 2.0.[34]

Olaf Menkens olaf.menkens at gmd.de
Thu May 20 10:01:40 GMT 1999

Hi,

I have very strange problems with samba 2.0.[34], running under IRIX
6.5:

When I connect from a Win 98 client, I see only folders without names.
The number of unnamed folders equals the number of files in the folder.
If I open one such folder, I see "%THISDIRNAME%" instead of its name and
it contains many many unnamed folders again. Sometimes there are so
many, that the windows explorer crashed with a stack overflow.

This obviously makes samba useless.

In the log file of smbd (debug level 5) there are many entries like
this:

[1999/05/20 09:31:00, 5] smbd/mangle.c:name_map_mangle(983)
  name_map_mangle( , need83 = FALSE, cache83 = TRUE, 0 )
[1999/05/20 09:31:00, 5] smbd/mangle.c:name_map_mangle(1017)
  name_map_mangle() ==> []

Does the name mangling empty the filename ?

Is this a known problem ? Are there any solutions ?

The same problem occurs with samba 2.0.3 and 2.0.4. I was glad to have
an old samba 2.0.0 beta version, so I compiled and installed this one
and it works without problems. For all versions I use the same smb.conf
file, which I created with the great SWAT tool.

btw.: Where can I find elder samba versions (like 2.0.2) ?

An article in the german "Linux magazin" also stated, that samba 2.0.3
is broken (no details were given) and one should use the 2.0.2 version.
When I saw that version 2.0.4 is available, I hoped, that all known bugs
might have been removed, but this is obviously not the case. (?)

In an attachment I added my smb.conf file.

Olaf.