Printer connection question

Craig Weatherhead cweather at fastenal.com
Tue May 18 20:17:31 GMT 1999

Hello,

 Is it possible to set up a printer on a Sun Solaris (sparc 2.6) machine
and have it properly print to an HP Laserjet printer without the use of
jetdirect?
 I'm trying to print to an NT controlled printer using Samba on the Sun
machine. I've been trying to utilize the "smbprint" command, however I'm
having all kinds of problems.

 On the Sun machine, I add the printer with the following command......

	lpadmin -p laser -i /sysadmin/smbprint -v /dev/null

 I then had to modify the smbprint file so that the only thing that I
was utilizing was the smbclient part. I had to change the "print -" to
"print $6" since it appears that when you do an lp <file-name> on the
Sun machine, the sixth parameter is the name of the file. I had to do
this because the "print -" was just giving me an error message stating
that it couldn't find the file. I also hardcoded the printer share and
the user-name and password.......

 (
   echo translate
   echo "print $6"
   cat
 ) /usr/local/bin/smbclient "<service-name-of-printer>" guest -U guest
-P

This appears to print the file just fine except that it sits in the
queue until another print job pushes it out.
Basically, I'm just wondering if you can print to an NT printer
utilizing the smbprint utility through smbclient without having to use
lpr because my machine is running lpsched.

Craig Weatherhead
Fastenal Company
Systems Administrator
Phone:	(507)-453-8146