Printing fails above a certain size

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Wed May 12 16:33:40 GMT 1999

When the world was young, John Gruenenfelder
<johng at bach.as.arizona.edu> carved some runes like this:

[snip]
> When Windows users print to my machine it will work most of the time.  If
> the file is about 2-5 MB then it will work.  However, a larger file ( <
> 7MB or so) will fail. Looking at the logs, I can see that the client will
> connect, but then it never sends data and it never disconnects.  If I then
> kill smbd (it runs on demand through inetd) the log will be updated to
> show that the client closed, but still no data.
>
> Any ideas why this is happening?  The samba spool is on /var and there is
> about 80MB free which should be more than enough since none of the
> printers are actually connected to this machine.  Thanks in advance.

What happens when you print a large ps file from the linux side?
Even with 80 megs free on /var you could still be running out of
space.  There's a switch to lpr that tells it to create a symlink
in the spool dir instead of actually copying the file.  Try that
and see if it works.

Steve