Generating Encrypted smbpasswd file

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue May 4 22:17:20 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Sam Mbir-Bondzie <smbirbondzie at att.com>
carved some runes like this:

> I would therefore be glad if anyone out there could help me with an
> easier way of generating the encrypted smbpasswd from either the
> /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow password file without the 32X's but the
> actual encrypted smbpasswd file.

I don't have the reference handy, but I believe someone posted a
shell script for that a while back.

The other way would be to run "update encrypted = yes" (but with
encrypted password support turned off).  This updates smbpasswd
with the encrypted password as each user logs in.  However, they
are still sending plaintext passwords at this point, so it might
not be a viable option for you.

Another (possible) solution might be to install the SRP stuff
(including the exponential password suite).  From what I can
recall, the SRP libs and password file can be used for
authentication of samba connections (through PAM) but I'm not sure
if Irix supports PAM...

For more info on SRP, see:

http://srp.stanford.edu/srp

(and get on the srp-dev mailing list).  It's cool.

Regards, Steve