Generating Encrypted smbpasswd file

Carey F. Cox carey at tabasco.lamar.edu
Wed May 5 14:21:36 GMT 1999

Stephen:

If you use "update encrypted = yes" with encrypted password
support turned off, should you still be able to use smbpasswd
to change passwords. This is what I am trying to do, but
smbpasswd is not working. It gives me error messages when a
user tries to change their password and appears to work fine
for root (comes back successful), but doesn't change the password.
I have also enabled unix password syncing.

Carey

p.s.	Yes, I have generated my smbpasswd file and it is updating
	as users log in.

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Stephen L Arnold wrote:

	[snipped original post]

> I don't have the reference handy, but I believe someone posted a
> shell script for that a while back.
>
> The other way would be to run "update encrypted = yes" (but with
> encrypted password support turned off).  This updates smbpasswd
> with the encrypted password as each user logs in.  However, they
> are still sending plaintext passwords at this point, so it might
> not be a viable option for you.
>
> Another (possible) solution might be to install the SRP stuff
> (including the exponential password suite).  From what I can
> recall, the SRP libs and password file can be used for
> authentication of samba connections (through PAM) but I'm not sure
> if Irix supports PAM...
>
> For more info on SRP, see:
>
> http://srp.stanford.edu/srp
>
> (and get on the srp-dev mailing list).  It's cool.
>
> Regards, Steve

<>   Carey F. Cox, PhD             |  PHONE: (409) 880-8770           <>
<>   Assistant Professor           |  FAX:   (409) 880-8121           <>
<>   Dept. of Mech. Eng.           |  EMAIL: carey at tabasco.lamar.edu  <>
<>   Lamar University              |  WEB:   N/A                      <>