Anoying problem with smbmount

jpff at maths.bath.ac.uk jpff at maths.bath.ac.uk
Fri Mar 19 13:38:30 GMT 1999

Message written at 19 Mar 1999 08:37:51 +0000

I am not sure if this is really on-topic, but ....
I have a small network with a couple of W95 machines, (a Mac who
refuses to listen to smb/nmb) and a Linux m/c and an aging SGI
Indigo.  I am running samba-2.0.3 on both the unix machines, and apart
from the usual compiler errors and code errors on Irix4 they seem to
run OK.  However I mount a share from the SGI machine on the Linux
machine via smbmount
/usr/bin/smbmount /lansky/jpf /net/lansky/jpff -n -u 1000 -g 1000

and that is OK, except that when I edit certain files in that share on
Linux (with emacs) the file viewed on the SGI contains a number of
nulls at the end.  Over time these nulls accumulate in various parts
of the file; the case I see particularly is my mail-sending spool file
as mail is transported by tape to another domain.

Is this insertion of nulls a known problem, and if so is there a known
fix, or known place to start looking?

==John ffitch