What is best setup for us?

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Fri Mar 19 13:38:53 GMT 1999

Duncan Kinnear wrote:
> At the moment, the Samba server has all the users defined as Unix users.
> Everyone also connects to the Unix host via telnet, to access text-based
> COBOL applications on that machine.  However, in this environment, it is
> a pain to change your password,

	For Windows 3.x and 9x machines, the password change
	program will happily talk to samba, and update the
	Unix /etc/passwd file via the "passwd program" and
	"passwd chat" options of the smb.conf file.
	Thta's really because the Windows machines are only
	keeping local copies of your password, and know that
	they need to sync with a master server somewhere.

	I haven't tried it with NT myself: perhaps someone here
	will tell us what you have to doi to make an NT machine
	running as a client of a SMB fielserver update it's
	password with it's "master".

> Now the best solution seems to be to run the Samba server as a PDC
> and change the clients to "Domain" clients.  Then, if the NT server is set
> up as BDC, everything would be sweet.  But everyone seems to be
> saying that the "security=domain" is *experimental* and should be
> avoided.

	I don't run it as a matter of choice, not because it doesn't
	work.  I use security=server because I'm a Unix bigot!

--dave
Willowdale, Ontario   | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb
Work: (905) 477-0437 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com