Master browwer issue

Jim Watt jimw at pe-nelson.com
Tue Mar 16 06:01:40 GMT 1999

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Todd Pfaff wrote:

}On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Jim Watt wrote:
}
}> --On 3/16/99, 8:19 AM +1100 Raven wrote:
}>
}> } I keep seeing this fight going on in samba-log.nmb, is there a
}> } way to make certain the Linux box remains the master browser
}> } period?  The Linux box is TRIBE the Win95 box is RAVEN:
}>
}> There's a configuration parameter under "Network/File and Printer
}> Sharing for Microsoft Networks/Properties" called "Browse Master".
}> Set it to "Disabled".  RAVEN will no longer attempt to become
}> the browse master after you make that change.  It's a Good Idea
}> to make that change to all Win95 machines that are on the same
}> numbered network as your Samba machine.
}
}and if you want to do the same on nt systems edit this registry data:
}
}\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser
}  Start = REG_DWORD 0x4
}  Parameters
}    IsDomainMaster = FALSE
}    MaintainServerList = No

And, after you do that, when you reboot, you'll discover that
the "Computer Browser" service won't start, because it no longer
has any work to do (making elections).  So you might as well
change it to "manual" before the reboot.

I'm working up a "browser wars" document that I'll probably post
to the list once it's done.  Quick summary:  If you have two numbered
IP networks and an NT domain/workgroup that spans them, you will
find that you can get complete browse coverage if Samba is the master
browser on one (or more!) of them, and an NT PDC is the browse
master on the other one.

Stay tuned... :-)

Jim
--
Jim Watt                               jimw at PE-Informatics.COM
Perkin-Elmer Corporation               Voice (desk): +1 408 577 2228