Master browwer issue

Todd Pfaff pfaff at edge.cis.McMaster.CA
Tue Mar 16 04:57:08 GMT 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Jim Watt wrote:

> --On 3/16/99, 8:19 AM +1100 Raven wrote:
>
> } I keep seeing this fight going on in samba-log.nmb, is there a
> } way to make certain the Linux box remains the master browser
> } period?  The Linux box is TRIBE the Win95 box is RAVEN:
>
> There's a configuration parameter under "Network/File and Printer
> Sharing for Microsoft Networks/Properties" called "Browse Master".
> Set it to "Disabled".  RAVEN will no longer attempt to become
> the browse master after you make that change.  It's a Good Idea
> to make that change to all Win95 machines that are on the same
> numbered network as your Samba machine.

and if you want to do the same on nt systems edit this registry data:

\Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser
  Start = REG_DWORD 0x4
  Parameters
    IsDomainMaster = FALSE
    MaintainServerList = No

Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff at mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920
ABB 132                              \  FAX: (905) 528-3773
McMaster University                   \
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada  L8S 4M1     \