printing and extra form feed...

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sun Mar 14 21:41:12 GMT 1999

On 15 Mar 99, Luke Miller <millerlu at peak.org> had questions about
printing and extra form feed...:

> I am trying to print from a Linux box to a Windows 98 box.  I am using the
> smbprint script and that is working ok, expect that it doesn't give a form
> feed at the end of the print job to cause the paper to be ejected.  Any
> ideas on how to make it do so?

You need to send an EOF to the printer with each job.  It depends
on the printer and on your Linux distribution how trivial it is to
fix it.  RedHat's Printtool has a setting for that (I can remember
writing some PCL escape code filters a few years back when I had to
print to a Netware queue with an HPLJ3).

You can edit your /etc/printcap and printfilters by hand, but
you'll need to read the docs to find the right switch.  It's like
Jeff says when I ask a question about a particular compiler:  Try
it and see...

Steve

Steve Arnold                            sarnold at earthling.net
                                 http://www.rain.org/~sarnold
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.  You should
also recycle yourself.  Become an organ donor (8-)@