Win95 Clients & Samba 2.0.3

markh at connix.com markh at connix.com
Sun Mar 14 21:28:21 GMT 1999

Hello:

Last week, we upgraded from 1.x to Samba 2.0.3 (IRIX 6.5). We were not using the
encrypted password setting with the 1.x Samba but installed 2.0.3 with enable
encrypted = yes.

With 1.x, we had some Win95 users, some Win98, and some WinNT (SP3). The Win95
users were able to map the drives OK without any system modification.  However,
the Win98 and WinNT users had to do the "EnablePlainTextPassword" registry entry
to get in (which worked well enough).

After upgrade to 2.0.3 (witn enable encrypted), I believe we have now made it
possible for the Win98 and WinNT users to connect regardless of their
"EnablePlainTextPassword" registry entry changes, if any.

The problem is that I cannot seem to find any way to have the Win95 users map to
the drives now.  We're talking about a fairly late release Win95 here (4.00.950
B), and nothing seems to work. The error I get is "The password is incorrect.
Try again."

Is there a way out of this?  Why can't my Win95 users map their drives?

Thanks

Mark Hunnibell
markh at connix.com