new samba user seeks alternative to NT

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Mar 13 19:38:34 GMT 1999

On 13 Mar 99, "Robert Fowler" <robfowlr at seacoast.com> had questions
about new samba user seeks alternative to NT:

> ive got samba up and working as my master browser but
> when i try to go into the shared directory or main folder
> it comes up with a password screen ..  \\alpha\ipc$
> but my question is , is there a default password for guest
> or nobody ?  it just keeps rejecting my password ..

The easiest way to set it up is to give your windoze machine the
same NetBIOS name (computer name) as the host account on the samba
box.  Then use that password as your windoze network login password.

If the client is NT, then login to NT with same account info
(NT4SP3 and above require an open connection for browsing, so
you'll have to map a share with Net Use from an NT command prompt
first).  This assumes user-level security on the samba side.

If you name your windoze client differently than your samba host
account, then you'll need to map the names in the map file (see the
man page for smb.conf).

Steve

Steve Arnold                            sarnold at earthling.net
                                 http://www.rain.org/~sarnold
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.  You should
also recycle yourself.  Become an organ donor (8-)@