Printing to canon bjc 610

Geoff Lane geoff at gjctech.force9.net
Tue Mar 9 17:03:02 GMT 1999

Matt Hoover wrote:
> Thanks for the leads on the docs - but unfortunately after exhausting all
> avenues, I still got the same error.  I have given all 777
> permission to both
> the divices and the spool directories - i still get the message
> in the samba
> logs - cannot find wps service.  What is this wps?
---

Hi Matt,

Have you tried the debugging methods given in Printing.txt?  In smb.conf,
try changing the print command line to:
print command = cp %s /var/tmp/print.txt
Restart Samba and then try printing from the Windows client.  This will
should create the file 'print.txt' in the /var/tmp directory.  If this
works, then Samba probably isn't causing the problem.  Within Linux, try
printing the file 'print.txt' with:
lpr -b -Pbjc-610 /var/tmp/print.txt
(change the -P argument if your printer isn't called 'bjc-610).  If this
fails to print then the problem is with your lpr setup (not Samba).

What is your definition for the BJC-610 within smb.conf?  If you post this
and your /etc/printcap file, then I may be able to suggest modifications
that *should* allow it to function as a RAW printer (using the Windows
driver.)

Please note that I'm no expert -- I've just got my Epson Stylus Photo 700
running by using the same methods.

HTH,

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK