Not happy campers

Dave Walton walton at emusic.com
Mon Mar 8 23:31:40 GMT 1999

On 4 Mar 99, at 4:14, Stephen L Arnold wrote:

> When the world was young, "Dave Walton" <walton at emusic.com> carved
> some runes like this:
>
> [bigger snip]
> > But here's another twist -- I now have three machines
> > running Samba:
> >
> > v1.9.18 on FreeBSD 2.2.6 -> Win95 works.
> > v2.0.2 (upgraded from v1.9.18) on FreeBSD 2.2.6 -> Win95 broken.
> > v2.0.2 (fresh install) on FreeBSD 3.0 -> Win95 works.
>
> How did you upgrade the second machine?  Did you install the binary
> package, or compile from source?  One or more
> versions/distributions of certain host platforms have peculiar
> quirks, for example, one of the later distributions of SuSe was
> broken wrt the samba binary.  Also, certain versions of native C
> compilers (Sun, AI/X), even gcc in some cases, are hosed up, as
> well as some shared libs on some platforms.

I had originally installed from the FreeBSD ports collection.  I did a
pkg_delete to uninstall, then installed the new version from the
ports collection.  The installation script downloads the source
distribution, applies a few patches (default directory adjustments),
compiles and installs.

Since it doesn't make sense that doing an upgrade would cause
this problem, I can only conclude that something changed in 2.0.x
so that it doesn't work quite right with FreeBSD 2.2.x.  We'll see
what happens in a couple of weeks when I build a 3.1 box to
replace this misbehaving one...

> Just my $0.05 worth (you always get a little extra when you ask
> me...)

What a bargain!

Dave