Windows executables

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Mar 5 00:47:38 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Carey F. Cox" <carey at tabasco.lamar.edu>
carved some runes like this:

> Are there any special access permissions or parameters that I need
> to set to enable users to run windows applications that are stored
> on the samba server?
>
> I tried a test yesterday of a program that has a graphical interface. The
> DOS program was executed on a Win95 box, but was stored on the samba
> server under /tmp. It opened up the dos interface and printed out the
> copyright info and then just hung.

Sorry Dude, there must be something subtle in your config that's
not quite right.  Dragging simple DOS or windoze apps to a samba
share and executing them should work fine.  Other people on the
list even run M$ Orifice from samba shares (or so I'm told; I've
never tried it myself).

When something like that *didn't* work for me was back when I first
started running samba, and was caused by a windoze TCP/IP parameter
mismatch.  I ran across the hint in the Speed.txt files.  It had to
do with the RWIN setting on the windoze client being on the wrong
side of a "threshold" value.  Doubling RWIN cured it.  YMMV.

Hope this helps, Steve