smbclient sees my shares, but net view doesn't

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Fri Mar 5 00:47:38 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Bruce Fancher" <bruce at iterative.com>
carved some runes like this:

> I am able to mount the share with smbclient from the Solaris
> box, and the machines can both ping each, but when I do
> "net view \\hostname" from the Windows DOS shell
> I see this:
>
> System error 53 has occurred.
>
> The network path was not found.

What is the output of testparm?  Have you gone through the steps in
diagnosis.txt? (and what are the results?)  Browsing (ie, listing
the shares) is done via the guest account so something is
fundamentally hosed in your setup.

Read some Fine Materials, go through diagnosis.txt, and let us know
the results.  :-}

Steve