Installation of 2.0.2 on HPUX 10.2 - configure giving error

Stig HORNUFF shornuff at dk.dhl.com
Wed Mar 3 09:17:00 GMT 1999

Installation of 2.0.2 on HPUX 10.2 - configure giving error
     "Error No locking available. Running Samba would not be safe"

Ref: http://samba.org/listproc/samba/February1999/0473.html

In reponse to Kevin's problem.

Hi,

Here at our site, we tried exactly the same thing, ie. compiling SAMBA
version 2.0.2 on HP-UX 10.20. And it came up with the same error-message
during configuration.

A cause for the problem exists as well as a solution, both of which I'll
try to descibe below.

The problem:

Running a modified configure-script to monitor what happens, then
file-locking is tested by a C-program which is compiled, assembled and
runned during configuration.
the configure-script knows wether it uses gcc or cc as C-compiler, but
it is not (yet?) able to determine if it uses HP assembler (as) or GNU
binutils assembler (also named 'as', but located in /opt/binutils/bin).
The C-compiler always creates an assembler-source which is passed to the
assembler wether it's GNU assembler or not. And here the error occurs.
The GNU C-compiler (gcc) has a .PARAM-directive in the assembler-source.
This directive cannot be handled by HP assembler, because it does not
exist.

What I did:
- My first action was to exclude the directive and run the assembler
directly (HP-assembler) on the source. It worked perfectly!
- Knowing that I use GNU C-compiler on HP, I had the theory that tools
MUST match eachother so, to be sure, I installed the binutils for HP-UX
10.20 and made sure that the search-path would hit /opt/binutils/bin
before /usr/ccs/bin.
- I re-introduced the .PARAM-directive in the assembler-source again and
ran the assembler (this time GNU assembler). It worked perfectly!
- Due to the success of the above, I ran a full ./configure WITH
Success.

The solution:
Be absolutely SURE you have the appropriate tools installed on HP-UX
10.20, ie:
Binutils for HP-UX 10.20.
GNU C-compiler for HP-UX 10.20.

Be absolutely SURE that your PATH hits GNU-tools before HP-tools ie:
PATH=/opt/binutils/bin:/opt/gcc/bin:${PATH}

This solved our problem. We have know compiled SAMBA version 2.0.3
aswell.

Best Regards
Stig Hornuff