Win95 won't work with Samba 2.0.2

Dave Walton walton at emusic.com
Tue Mar 2 10:11:13 GMT 1999

On 27 Feb 99, at 4:23, Stephen L Arnold wrote:

> When the world was young, "Dave Walton" <walton at emusic.com> carved
> some runes like this:
>
> > Hmmm...  I've sent a couple of questions to the list recently, with
> > no responses.  Are my messages getting out?
>
> I didn't respond because I have no clue what your problem might be
> (I'm a self-taught seat-of-the-pants kinda guy with a geophysics
> background, not networking or anything close).

That's what I expected, but the silence was so deafening I just
wanted to make sure I was getting out.

> > Since upgrading to 2.0.2, our Win95 boxes are having problems
> > accessing shares.  WinNT works perfectly.  Win95 worked fine
> > with 1.whatever, but now it can only see files that are actually in
> > the share directory.  It can see subdirectories of the share, but
> > they appear as empty directories.
>
> What system updates have been applied to the win95 clients (I
> assume they're OSR2?)?  Many of them address broken network
> components.

One is OSR2, the other is not.  I tried installing the only update on
the pages you mentioned that looks relevent (vrdrupd.exe), but it
had no effect.

On the other hand, I did figure out more detail on what is actually
happening.  It appears to be a case-sensitivity issue:

1.  Files or directories in a share are visible.
2.  Files or directories in an all-uppercase subdirectory of the share
are visible.
3.  Lowercase or mixed-case subdirectories of the share appear to
be empty.
4.  All-uppercase files can be opened.
5.  Lowercase or mixed-case files cannot be opened, and Win95
complains that the file is not found.
6.  Exception to #5:  At a DOS prompt, lowercase and mixed-case
files can be opened, but ONLY if the case is typed correctly.  (This
does not help with directory access.)

My setup has:

  case sensitive = no
  preserve case = yes
  short preserve case = yes

(Changing those to all "no" has no effect on the problem.)

> > Has anyone else seen this?  Is anyone using 2.0.2 successfully
> > with Win95?  Should I just bag it and go back to the old version?
>
> If 2.x and win95 were that much of a problem, then many other
> people on this list would be screaming.  The different behavior
> you're seeing with win95 and NT is an M$ problem.

Perhaps.  However, Samba v1.9.18 works with those clients, and
v2.0.2 does not.  You may argue that it's not because of a bug in
Samba, but it's certainly a step backwards in compatibility at the
very least.  And if I can't find a way to make this work, I'll be forced
to continue using the (unsupported, yet functional) old version.

Dave