oplock release and win 95

Sean Murphy sean.murphy at Teltec.DCU.IE
Tue Mar 2 11:19:21 GMT 1999

Hi,

I had a problem with oplocks before - the problem was that I didn't
understand them, and I was modifying files on my unix box and
viewing them on my win95 box. With oplocks on, this was
problematic, but when I turned them off for the share, everything
worked fine.

However, one thing that I never understood was when oplocks were
released under win 95. I found that when I opened up my app
(ghostview in this case), opened a file and then closed it (the file),
smbstatus reported that the locked remained. Then, when I closed
ghostview, the lock still remained for over 10 mins later.

I noticed that Excel doesn't have this behaviour, but someone on the
list explained to me that Excel probably uses locks intelligently,
whereas ghostview doesn't. However, irrespective of whether
ghosview uses locks intelligently or not, I would have expected the
lock to be released at worst when the app is closed (unless
windows, by default, holds on to the lock anticipating the user to
open the file again).

Perhaps it's only MS that can answer this one, but if anyone can
explain it, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Sean.

-----